Chris Boggs is a top-tier digital marketing consultant and one of the stewards in Search Engine Marketing. He joins the show this week to talk about what he has seen change the most over his many years of experience in SEO, PPC, social media, and web analytics, and where he sees the trends moving next. Chris and Kevin also discuss the state of SEMPO (Search Engine Marketing Professionals Organization) and how it spawned many of the digital marketing practices we still see today.
- Chris was a member of the Board of Directors for SEMPO, the Search Engine Marketing Professionals Organization, for 14 years.
- There was an infamous meeting in SEMPO’s history with some uproar and drama that they, fortunately, survived through.
- SEMPO has helped spark interest in executives at the C-Level to care about organic and paid search.
- SEMPO became a part of the Digital Analytics Association and Chris names a few of many of the benefits and support they get from DAA membership.
- Much like Kevin, Chris still communicates with people that he has known for over 14 years thanks to SEMPO and the digital marketing tribe.
- Chris’s intention with SEMPO is to slowly build up educational content and discuss and implement current best practices within the industry.
- Many of the pitch decks, common themes, and terms within the digital marketing world came from SEMPO. While it was the Wild West in that time (and still is to a certain extent) the effort set forth to have consistency and organization did make a big difference.
- Chris doesn’t use his SEMPO position for his own business but instead uses it as a place for unbiased research and to help others.
- We have to embrace AI, but to integrate with it our existing knowledge and experience.
- “The goal is to continue to point people in the right place for networking and education.”
- “The role of a company is to put information out there that is not biased and not trying to serve a predetermined agenda is important.”
- “You have to have the experience to benefit from the value of the AI.”
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Market Motive
- Digital Analytics Associaton
- The COV-Ad Pandemic, And How to Avoid It